Industrial Flooring – Maintenance
Industry floorings are more vulnerable to damages, as it is exposed to traffic, movement, loads, chemicals, etc. Installed floor tends to get scratches, peel-off, cracks, colour fade, lose anti-slip nature, etc. Hence, it is the first and foremost duty of the occupant to maintain the installed floor.
Industrial floorings may be installed at different area in the industry like: Clean room floor, food grade floor, conductive/dissipative floor, anti-slip floor coatings, SLC levelled floor, high gloss epoxy flooring, mat finish PU floor, Abrasion Resistant Epoxy Flooring or self leveling epoxy floor or high build Industrial Epoxy Flooring, heavy duty PU floor, Floor Coatings like: Polyurethane Coating & Epoxy Floor Coatings, etc.,
Good maintenance cleaning on a regular basis is essential to ensure floor finishes are providing clean, durable and hygienic floor finishes, providing flooring solutions. General Cleaning can be by wet post scrubbing with appropriate type scrubbing (soft bristle heads) using neutral to slightly alkaline detergent addition to scrubbing water. Scrubbing is generally followed by wet vacuum removal of all arising, followed by clean water rinse. There is a very wide choice of cleaning equipment available, varying from single headed scrubber and separate vacuums to combined scrubber-dries, which scrub and dry in one operation. Final choice of equipment depends on areas to be cleaned and access in and around equipment and furniture etc. All floors will need cleaning periodically to remove dirt and contamination which could give hazards such as slippery patches, mould or bacterial growth, chemical attack, bad appearance.
The activities in the area will determine the objectives of the cleaning regime and frequency of cleaning in general, all spill and splashes should be treated immediately, especially if it is hazardous material. Cleaning cycles and methods can be alternated using scrubbing and vacuuming on set cycles with use of daily mopped or wet pad cleaning. Machine spray buff cleaning may also be employed daily dependent on standards required and soiling rates. Many companies are available to advise, demonstrate and supply cleaning equipment, cleaning chemicals and sterilization aids.
Below are some the tips for the maintenance, of the industrial floorings which we guidelines to our end-user and to their Maintenance Department:
- At the entry and exit point provide foot mats. If anyone is entering in where flooring is laid, ensure shoes free of the sand grains, mud, dirt, oil and other contaminants.
- No floor repair work should be undertaken by any unauthorized person without consent of ARDEXENDURA.
- Never use any acidic cleaners for maintaining the floor.
- Wet mopping is sufficient with mild detergent.
- Cleaning regime should be in place. Ensure the floors are wet mopped at least two or three times in a day.
- Spillage of lubricants, hydraulic oil, machine oil, grease need to be attended immediately.
- Avoid dragging sharp objects on the floor; this may give visible lines / scratches on the floor.
- Near machinery or working table if you are using tools and there is a chance of dropping of objects or tools, provide a rubber sheet of 5 to 10 mm thickness. In case if there is a point load the rubber mat will be resilient to absorb the shock and protect the floor against any damage.
- If you want to install any new machinery use thick polythene sheet and seal it on the floor. Then lay plywood sheet of 8 mm thick and later move the machinery the 2023 version of Coinjoin. If you do not take care of floor, the circular pipes over which machinery is moved will damage the laid floor completely.
- We cannot rule out the possibility of rising dampness during rainy season and hence care should be taken to seal off the entry and exit points which can allow rain water to penetrate below the floor.
- It is a good practice to provide pavement and drainage around the factory wall outside to prevent entry water and causing rising dampness.
- During heavy rains please inspect the floor once or twice after the rain and if you find any problems in the floor the same should be informed to ARDEX ENDURA.
- Avoid using metal wheeled trolleys, use nylon / rubber wheeled trolleys instead of metal wheeled.
- Ensure the wheels of trolleys are clean with our sand particles or chips embedded in it before used on floor topping.
- If you find any crack in the laid floor topping avoid seepage of water into this. You can mop the floor but ensure you squeeze all the free water from the mop and then use over it. You are also requested to inform about this immediately to ARDEXENDURA (INDIA) PRIVATE LIMITED for repairs if required.
- The entry, exit and turning points are more critical on floor topping, use floor mats.
Here are some of the ILLUSTRATION OF MAINTENANCE of industrial flooring:
|Use suitable floor mats at entry and exit.|
|Clean floor with detergent and warm water using soft bristles to avoid scratches. Consult cleaning equipment manufacturing agency before deploying.|
|In case of Spillage of chemicals / oil / grease on the floor. Clean immediately wash with detergent and water subsequently.
|Don’t use trolleys with imbalanced wheels. Wheels should have free movement. Regular maintenance of the trolleys shall be carried out.
|Replace all metal wheels to nylon / rubber wheels, as it will lead to scoring and marking on the floor.
|Black tyre wheel for trolleys and forklifts, may leave marking on the floor.
Do not drag heavy objects on the floor, as it will lead to scratches.
Use trolleys with rollers for transporting heavy objects.
Do not drop sharp and heavy objects on the floor, as it will damage the floor.
|Keep sufficiently thick mats underneath before placing heavy objects on the floor.
|Check the pallets and ensure that no sharp edges are protruding. Provide Rubber shoes for the pallets. Do not carry out fabrication or hammering of equipment directly on floor. Provide suitable working platform.
|Do not keep dismantled components directly on the floor.
|Use baskets / trays along with floor mats to keep the components on the floor.
|A spill, which is not removed and dried on the floor:
Use a plastic tool to remove any residue. If stain persists, soak the area with a mild detergent for 10 minutes for soaking before scrubbing and rinsing. If the stain is still there, soak the stain with a strong detergent for 10 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing.
If detergent does not remove the stain, wet a clean cloth with a household bleach and wipe the stained area to remove the stain. (Note: The bleach may dull the coating). If the stain remains, try lightly sanding the area with steel wool. This may dull the coating if vigorously sanded or stain has penetrated too deep.
ARDEX ENDURA ACADEMY
Our industry, like any other, requires on-going training to keep up with the changes in legislation/standards and materials. Our purpose-built training facility enables us to offer a range of demonstrations and seminars that can be tailored to your specific needs, ensuring total confidence in the specification and subsequent on-site application. The academy allows you to learn about new technologies including ‘Industry best practices for Tiling, Waterproofing, Concrete Repair and Flooring’ along with Technical guidance and product information.
For the latest and most up to date information and advice, visit the ARDEXENDURAacademy centres across India (Bangalore, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Delhi, etc.,). For Waterproofing Contractors and applicators committed to providing a high level of workmanship, ARDEX ENDURA helps them to increase both their professionalism and productivity.
For more details, contact us.
You May Be Interested In…
R 21 CE PlusNovember 29, 2022
Resin FlooringMay 19, 2021
Concrete Surface Profile – PreparationApril 16, 2020
Industrial Flooring – MaintenanceApril 14, 2020
Floor Levelling – SLCApril 14, 2020
Industrial Flooring – RepairApril 14, 2020